Thursday, March 17, 2011

Artist Dates, Week 27 ~ I Heart Scottsdale


I started out my week of Artist Dates going on Saturday to the Scottsdale Arts Festival.  I got there around 1:00pm and had to park about five blocks away.   Between the Old Town Farmer's Market, the Giant Spring Training game, and the Art Fest...let's just say parking was a BITCH!

I spent the entire day there, so parking a little further away was not going to hinder my day.  I walked the entire Art Fest, then sat and listened to music for awhile...had a little lunch...then went to see the new exhibits at SMoCA...walked around a little more...went to see the Haikou: China Sister Cities art exhibit of painting and sculpture art at the Civic Center Library.


I walked around some more because I love seeing new artists and there were quite a few here at the Scottsdale Art Fest.  Then I went over to the Camera Obscura exhibit. Camera obscura means ‘dark room.’ Functioning much like an early camera, the device projects images of the surrounding Festival into room-sized, darkened chambers.  It was pretty cool.


Then I ended my day by listening to Marmalade Skies playing Beatles tunes.  The most impressive thing was an artist was painting during the concert pictures of the Beatles.  You could not tell what he was painting for about ten minutes, then all of a sudden you could tell the first painting was of John Lennon, and the second painting was George Harrison.  Pretty cool stuff.  Do I date myself with saying "Cool."




My second Artist Date of the week was going to the Scottsdale Desert Stages Theater to see A Raisin in the Sun.   This was one of the most extraordinary performances I have seen in awhile.  The cast was perfect.  I brought a friend from Chicago with me who had seen the original film with Sidney Poitier and was sobbing at the end.  When we walked out of the theater and started talking to the cast, she began to lose it once again...she was that moved by their stellar performances. 


The best career advice to give the young is,
find out what you like doing best and get
someone to pay you for doing it.
KATHERINE WHILEHARN