Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Osher Lifelong Learning Course with Professor Michael Pfister- Day 1




The New Century and the Digital Age:  How New Media, Social Networking, and Digital Innovation are Changing Global Culture  Instructor:  ASU Professor, Michael Pfister

Course Description:  The 21st century has seen an explosion on new technologies that are rapidly altering the way we communicate, compose, and perceive the world around us.  Social media is a global platform for personal and professional expression.  How then have these new forms changed how we think about communication, socio-cultural experience, and creation?  This exciting class will examine how these changing technologies are shaping the culture around us both good and bad.

Today was my first class with Osher Lifelong Learning and I picked the above course to start off with.   Not only did the topic interest me, but I liked in the course description the statement, "shaping the culture around us both good and bad."  I am all for technological advancements to make our lives easier, but there is a point when these new technologies can change our culture in a bad way.

In today's class we discussed privacy issues in the new digital age. Professor Pfister told us the generation he teaches at ASU is not the least bit concerned about their privacy. The younger generation has no problem putting it all out there for the world to see.  Even what some older generations would think of as a private moment, like a wedding proposal, are now put out on YouTube for the world to see.  He showed us one of the more famous Flash Mob Wedding Proposals on YouTube.  I do feel this puts a lot of pressure on the younger generation today...like you better propose in the most spectacular way if you love me, and want me to marry you.

Well flash mob proposals put on the internet for all to see can be harmless if the relationship works out, something to show the grandkids someday.  But what if a relationship you are in doesn't work out, and it's put out there on the internet for the entire world to know.  I was thinking in class today of one of my favorite Two and a Half Men episodes where Jake Googles his Uncle Charlie and finds a website called Charlie Harper Sucks.  This website was created where all the women he has dated can tell their horror stories of dating Charlie.  Classic!  This is where the new digital age can not only hurt you, but destroy you and your reputation easily and quickly.

I really enjoyed the class with Professor Pfister.  Plus the people in the class were very talkative which always makes the class more lively.

ON A SIDE NOTE:  If Professor Michael Pfister has a Google Alert set-up for his name, then he will be notified of my blog post.  It would be interesting to see if a professor who teaches about the new digital age has signed up for Google alerts on himself.  I know if I was a teacher, I would most definitely be searching my name to see what the students could be saying about me.  lol   Professor Pfister if you find this post, or someone else alerts you to it,  please let me know when you see me in class next week. I am the woman whose only use for her cell phone is to order pizzas from the road.