Saturday, February 23, 2013

OLLIE at ASU ~ Phoenix Theatre Series

 
Spotlight on
La Cage Aux Folles:A Little More Mascara!

Lecture and backstage "behind the scenes" visit

 
 The best part of turning 50 years old last July is now I am able to take courses with OLLIE at ASU.  When I saw they were offering as part of their Cultural Exploration Series this Spring a course with the Phoenix Theatre for an in-depth and exclusive look at their professional production of La Cage Aux Folles I was so excited.  Not only do I love live theatre, but I am one who likes to study-up on the productions I see beforehand.   So this course was perfect for me, even though I have seen La Cage twice before, the first time in New York City in June of 1985 with the original Albin, George Hearn, and Van Johnson playing Georges.  I'll blog more about that next month.

Today was the first day of this two day course and Dr. Jeffery Kennedy, ASU West's musical theatre scholar presented a lecture on the history of La Cage along with the importance and effect of La Cage and the "drag musical" on American musical theatre both past and present.  Then Zoni Award Winner Michael J. Eddy gave an insightful lecture with a backstage look at the set designing, lighting and costuming of La Cage.  Then Phoenix Theatre's Director of Production, Pasha Yamotahari talked about the casting process as well as how a theatre goes about getting a license to do a show...all very interesting. 

Next month is day two of this course where it's all put together with another lecture by Pasha Yamotahari and then a full theatre production of La Cage Aux Folles.  I can't wait!



Dr. Jeffery Kennedy speaking today at the Phoenix Theatre. 
You can see the back of my head in this picture.