Sunday, September 26, 2010

Artist Date, Week Three ~ the Gallery @ the Library

This is my third week of Artist Dates and the third week of football for my hubby.  Since his beloved Chicago Bears are playing on Monday night football tomorrow, he did not go to Goldies Sports Bar today  to watch them, but stayed home to watch other teams like the Arizona Cardinals on TV.  I on the other hand got the heck out of the house.  Since it is still a bit warm here in sunny Arizona, I decided to go on another Artist Date in cool air conditioning.  So I ventured down to see the new art exhibit at the Gallery @ the Library which is housed in the Civic Center Library. Scottsdale Public Art in partnership with the Civic Center Library present exhibitions and educational programming that strengthens awareness of the arts and stimulates community dialogue. 

The current art exhibition is When the Water Came: Evacuees of Hurricane Katrina.  This art exhibit is a collection of poems by ASU professor and poet, Cynthia Hogue culled from interviews with twelve evacuees of Hurricane Katrina, and photographs by Rebecca Ross which depicts their experiences.

Cynthia Hogue and Rebecca Ross shared a concern that the actual voices and photographs of ordinary people from all walks of life be part of hurricane Katrina’s final story.

When the Water Came gives form and voice to the resourcefulness of individual evacuees expressed through their own words and in the photographs of faces, rescued possessions, and lost homes.


I also watched  an autobiographical video essay called EMPTY HOUSES (23 min.) by Noah Saterstrom, following four road trips to his home state of Mississippi in which he gives a guided tour of vacant spaces including an abandoned family home, a ruined plantation, a suicide house, and a demolished coastal town.  Empty Houses is a brief investigation into the grief, fascination, horror, and romance of vacated spaces.





While I was at the library I also picked up some books on beading which will help me with my new venture into making jewelry for myself.


I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
DUKE ELLINGTON


What doesn't kill me makes me stronger.
ALBERT CAMUS