Saturday, September 25, 2010

Artist Date, Week Three ~ Jewelry Making Classes

Today I did something that I have wanted to do for the past decade, and that is to take a jewelry making class.  If it were not for this Artist's Way course I may have never gotten off my butt to take a class.  So today I took two classes.  In the morning I took a Basic Stringing class, and in the afternoon I took a Basic Wiring Wrap class.  I made two bracelets somewhat similar to the ones pictured here.

Basic String Bracelet

Basic Wire Wrap Bracelet

I did enjoy the Basic String class much more than the Wire Wrap class because wire wrapping is much more labor intensive. I have always been more visual and love designing things, so designing jewelry resonates with me. I relish going into a bead store and picking out what beads should be in my design. I just do not relish the actual labor part of putting it together. Now if I could just design the jewelry and let someone else put it together then I would have it made. :-)   Wire Wrapping also is not my cup of tea because it has be to very precise and perfectly done to make it look good.  I am more of the "color outside the lines" kind of person.  I don't like to be so precise and perfect in my creations.   I have never followed directions very well, I always try to make it my way.

I will definitely keep practicing making bracelets, and then move onto necklaces and earrings. It is easier to design jewelry to perfectly accessorize an outfit, than try to find in the stores what you visualize.

After spending six hours in class today, my hubby and I went to Fountain Hills for their Oktoberfest. We ate brats, sauerkraut, drank good German beer, had some delicious apple strudel and listened to the music of the “die echten Wald-Baum” from Germany. All in all, a very pleasant day. Life is Good!



Artists who seek perfection in everything
are those who cannot attain it in anything.
EUGENE DELACROIX