Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Artist Date, Week Three ~ The MIM Music Theater




The Artist's Way 12-week course written by Julia Cameron only requires you to go on one Artist Date a week.  You are not required to go every week to some cultural event, museum or artist venue. It could be as simple as going to an antique store and browsing around.  The main purpose is to have a date with yourself.  But I just can't HELP myself.  I went on my third Artist Date this week, and I had two different dates in one day.  I absolutely love where I live; there is so much to do here, even when it is over 100 degrees.


Today I went back to the Musical Instrument Museum for their Wednesday Morning Interlude.  The free concert this morning featured John Ericson, associate professor of horn at ASU accompanied by pianist Yi-Wan Liao for a program of works from the nineteenth century performed on a variety of period horns.  Thank goodness I got there early, I was still the 225th person to enter the auditorium.  There were no empty seats, and they had to put up some folding chairs on the side.

I think a lot of people might have a problem going to events such as this by themselves.  I actually prefer it going alone.  The reason is when you go with someone you don't usually talk to anyone else there, because you have your companion with you.  When you are alone, everyone tends to talk to you and you can strike up the most interesting conversations.  Today I sat next to a woman from Gilbert and we had such an indept conversation that I actually was telling her the story about why my grandfather was banished from the continent of Europe back in 1914.  And, she gave me a few tips on some artist type projects that I may enjoy.  This exchange would not of happened if I went with someone to the concert.



After the concert I spent some time in a bead store buying a few tools I need, plus searching for beads in order to make myself two bracelets.  Since I am still in the practice stage of jewelry making, I did not spend a fortune on beads.  I came home, sat down and made two  beautiful bracelets that I will actually wear.  Life is GOOD!
                  


The Universe will reward you for
taking risks on its behalf.
SHAKTI GAWAIN


Genuine beginnings begin within us,
even when they are brought to our
attention by external opportunities.
WILLIAM BRIDGES


The words that enlighten the soul
are more precious than jewels.
HAZRAT INAYAT KHAN