Saturday, October 2, 2010

Artist Date, Week Four ~ Scottsdale International Film Festival


I LOVE films.  Not only do I love going to see films, but I enjoy even more discussing films with people, whether in person or online.  I read probably more blogs discussing movies than any other type of blog.  To me, film is an art form just like painting or sculpture.  Everyone can look at a painting and see something totally different, and with film two people can come away with two totally different interpretations of what they saw on screen.

The Scottsdale International Film Festival is in its 10th year and sadly I have never attended even though I prefer the small independent art house films over big Hollywood blockbusters.  So The Artist's Way course got me off my ass once again and I went to the film fest on Saturday afternoon and met some interesting people.  The real die hard festival people not only go every year, but they will go and see 10 films over the weekend.  They put me to shame.  I picked only one film to see this year, so maybe next year I will increase that number a bit.  The film I saw was from Belgium and called The Over the Hill Band.  This was the perfect film to see while doing The Artist's Way course because it was about reinventing yourself, and rediscovering your creativity.

The film is about a recently widowed 70-year old named Claire who is at a loss about what to do with her life. More than 50 years ago, she sang in the rock ’n’ roll band Sisters of Love with her classmates Magda and Lutgard. She talks to her gal pals and suggests a musical reunion. She even tries to convince her down-on-his-luck musician son, Sid, to manage them. Sid ultimately agrees to direct the “girls” but on the condition that they bring their repertoire up to date with his music, and that they enter an upcoming talent contest. Watching the oldsters get back in touch with their inner vixens during a series of rehearsals is pure pleasure.

The main characters are a perfect illustration of how anyone can reinvent themselves at any age.  They are able to reconnect to their creative heart centers and rediscover their creative self once they lose the fear that grips them.  I could not have picked a more perfect film to see during this planetary shift we are all going through. 



Eliminate something superfluous from your life. 
Break a habit.  Do something that makes you feel insecure.
PIERO FERRUCCI