Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Artist Date, Week Seven ~ Wednesday Morning Interlude at MIM


Today I went back to the Musical Instrument Museum for their Wednesday Morning Interludes.  Today's free concert featured the husband and wife team of Katherine McLin, violin, and Andrew Campbell, piano.

Last month I arrived at 10:05am for the concert which starts at 10:30 and was the 225th person to enter the theater.  Thankfully I got there even earlier today at around 9:55, because they had given out all the free tickets by 10:05.  They had to turn back so many people who eagerly arrived for the concert only to find out all the free seats were already gone.



The talented couple played for an hour which included Beethoven's Sonata in A Minor, Op. 23.  Two tango pieces by Argentine composer Astor Piazzolla. But my favorite was the Carmen Fantasy, Op. 25.  The Carmen Fantasy was written in 1883 by Pablo de Sarasate, and is a violin fantasy on themes from the opera Carmen by Georges Bizet. I had just been to the Opera in Cinema a few weeks ago and saw Carmen, so I was thrilled once again to hear the music from this very famous Opera.  The piece contains an adaptation of the Aragonaise, Habanera, an interlude, Seguidilla, and the Gypsy Dance.



I definitely plan on attending more Wednesday Morning Interludes at MIM.  I have a friend from Chicago who is a retired music teacher and she spends some time here in Arizona over the winter, and I cannot wait to take her to the Musical Instrument Museum this winter.  I am sure we will also go see a some concerts there...even the ones you pay to attend.  :-)





I don't have a lot of respect for talent. 
Talent is genetic.  It's what you do with it that counts.
MARTIN RITT