Sunday, October 24, 2010

Artist Date, Week Seven ~ MacDonald's Ranch Pumpkin Patch


I am 48 years old and have been married for 25 years with no children (by choice) and have never in my life carved a pumpkin for Halloween.  When I was younger, my sister who was nine years older than me, always carved the pumpkin for Halloween.  Once I was married I never even thought to get a pumpkin.  And since I never had children I never felt I had to get a pumpkin to display for the holiday. 

Well thanks to The Artist Way course I have reconciled that today.  I went to MacDonald's Ranch pumpkin patch to pick out my pumpkin. I could have just gone to the grocery store and picked up a pumpkin, but that would have not been as much fun, or would not have brought out the inner child in me.  I could have gone either today - Sunday, or on Monday.  But I thought it would be more fun to be there with lots of kids.  Since all my nieces and nephews are grown-up and don't care for these types of places anymore, I got a real treat being there today with all the little kids who were truly enjoying their adventures at MacDonald Ranch.

MacDonald Ranch has hayrides out to their pumpkin patch where there are hundreds of pumpkins to chose.  Once you got there everybody got off and started searching for the best pumpkin. I felt like a little kid when I got off the hayride in search of the best pumpkin in the patch of hundreds. Plus, they have a petting zoo, a hay maze, pony rides, gem mine, and western games.  If this place cannot bring out your inner child, than no place can.



I bought a large pumpkin and two tiny ones.  I already have them displayed on my kitchen island.  Later this week I will carve them with some design other than a traditional pumpkin face.  I had more fun today than I have had in a long time.  It was great being around all the little kids today, it helped me remember the little child in me that wants to come out and play once in awhile.


After spending some time at MacDonald's Ranch I ventured over once again to the Gem and Jewelry Show and bought a few more beads.  I have enough beads now for all the holiday presents this year and for all the 2011 birthdays presents.

Trust in yourself.  Your perceptions
are often far more accurate than
you are willing to believe.
CLAUDIA BLACK