Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Artist Date, Week Five ~ Opera in Cinema - Bizet's CARMEN




Bizet's Carmen - one of the most popular Operas of all time.


I have been reading for some time now about the Opera and Ballet in Cinema at the Harkins Theaters, but I have never attended. I have never even attended an opera. So once again this Artist's Way course got me off my ass, and I went to see one of the most popular operas of all time...Bizet's Carmen. This was a LIVE performance from the Gran Teatre Del Liceu in Barcelona, Spain. Since I don't follow opera, I was not familiar with the storyline, but there is no one on the planet that has not heard the music in Carmen, especially the infamous song, Habanera. The theater was about 75% full of opera buffs. Since I did not buy my ticket in advance I got there about 45 minutes before the start time of 11:00am. I was the only one in line at the ticket window, when a woman came out of the theater door and asked me if I was going to see Carmen. When I said "Yes," she said she already had an extra ticket and she handed it to me. I immediately said I will pay her for it, but she would not take my money. I thanked her for the gracious offer, and she and her friend were off.

A woman who came by herself sat a seat away from me. At the intermission we started talking and I told her I was doing the Artist's Way course. She being a writer was very familiar with the course. I told her how I got the book at my local library, and was planning on buying it now since I am dedicated to finishing the course. She said she has two copies of the book herself, and offered to give me her spare copy. I thanked her, but said I would just buy my own copy. The Universe was very generous to me today, and wanted me to have so many things for free. I LOVE that! Synchronicity like this for me NEVER goes unnoticed, and is always appreciated. Life gets easier and more joyful when you know the Universe always has your back.

I will definitely make time to go back and see another opera by myself again, plus I already have plans on taking hubby to go see The Nutcracker in December. Even though it does not count as an Artist Date, that's okay, sometimes you just want to share a pleasurable experience with someone you love.


We are traditionally rather proud of ourselves for having slipped creative work in there between the domestic chores and obligations.  I'm not sure we deserve such big A-pluses for that.
TONI MORRISON