Friday, December 17, 2010

Artist Date, Week 14 ~ Ballet Week

This week of Artist Dates turned into another theme week centered around the Ballet.

On Tuesday I went to see Black Swan at Harkin's Camelview Theater.  This is one film I would have probably not have gone to see without all the Oscar buzz.  I really get into award season and love to watch all the award shows like the Golden Globes and the SAG awards too, besides the big show - the Oscars.

The film was good, and Natalie Portman really transformed herself into a believable ballerina.  But as a psychological thriller, I have to say I would much prefer the film Shutter Island to be getting all the award nominations instead.  I thought Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island was far more entertaining and thrilling than this one.  I even like the director, Darren Aronofsky's film The Wrestler much better than this also.  Just one chick's opinion.



I continued with the Ballet theme this week by attending on Thursday night the Harkin's Theater Ballet in Cinema showing of The Nutcracker.  This was not a live performance like the opera Carmen I saw in October.  This performance of The Nutcracker was taped from an earlier performance from the Royal Opera House in London.  I have not seen The Nutcracker in a very long time.  So it was a treat to see it again. 
Some people would probably argue that seeing a live performance is superior over seeing one in a theater.  There is something about the energy of seeing it live that can't be duplicated by seeing it on a movie screen.  I agree somewhat.  But unless you have some of the best seats in the house, then seeing it at a theater can actually be just as rewarding, if not better.  You can see every bead of sweat run down the dancers faces.  You can see the detail in their costumes, and you could even hear their feet hitting the floor even over the music.  The camera can zoom in on their faces for their expressions at pivotal moments.  Plus the camera can move in on their bodies while they perform some amazing dance poses and movements.  I admit I am not an Opera or Ballet buff, but people who attend these at the theater really want to see all versions of their favorite Operas and Ballets, and this allows them to see the European productions without getting on an airplane.




The eyes upturned to Heaven
are an act of creation.
VICTOR HUGO