Sunday, December 26, 2010

Artist Dates, Week 15 ~ Ebenezer Scrooge Week

My Artist Date's theme for this week was Ebenezer Scrooge.  Last Sunday I attended by myself the Fountain Hills community theater production of A Carol for Tiny Tim.  Their Youth Theater put on this production which presents this twist on Charles Dicken's classic holiday tale about the spirit of giving.  The play takes place 15 years after Ebenezer Scrooge changed his ways, and once-sweet Tiny Tim has grown into a spoiled and selfish young man.  The ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future return to work their magic this time around on Tiny Tim. It was a wonderful performance.  There were only five adults in the play, all the rest were kids.  Santa Claus came out at the end and everyone sang Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.  Then the kids were allowed to visit with Santa.  They had hot chocolate and cookies outside on the patio, plus fun games to play for the kids.   It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

On Christmas Eve my husband and I took my in-laws to see the very last production of A Christmas Carol at the Herberger Theater.  I bought these tickets in October when I first heard that the Actors Studio was going to end their 19-year run of the play.  What a GREAT show!  I am sorry to see it end.  All the actors came out to the lobby after the show and talked and took pictures with everyone.  My in-laws really appreciated us taking them to see this play.  I love giving gifts of experiences and entertainment rather than a store bought gift.  People always seem to remember a shared experience when you take them someplace, but often have amnesia when it comes to remembering what store bought gift you gave them last year.


Then I finished off my Ebeneser Scrooge week on Christmas night.  After returning from our friends house we sat down and watched one of my favorite Bill Murray movies, Scrooged.  Watching this film was a great way to end my Ebenezer Scrooge week.  :-)
No man can know where he is
going unless he knows exactly
where he has been and exactly how
he arrived at this present place.
MAYA ANGELOU