Monday, January 10, 2011

Artist Dates, Week 18 ~ Old Town Scottsdale with Ducks and Tigers - OH MY!

Oregan Ducks vs. Auburn Tigers
BCS Championship Game

I have been too couped up indoors for the past couple of weeks.  I really needed to get out in the fresh air and sunshine for one whole afternoon.  So I spent my Sunday afternoon in Old Town Scottsdale with just myself and no agenda.  First, I went to over to the Sunday A'Fair and heard Sara McAllister Band for awhile.  Then I went to SMoCA to see the exhibit Bridges: Spanning the Ideas of Paolo Soleri. 



Then I went over to Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts and saw in their art @ young gallery the exhibition Bridges: Connecting Earth to Sky.  After that I walked over to the Soleri Bridge.  I had of course seen it, but never walked over it before.  Nice!


The downtown area was filled with Ducks and Tigers.  It was great seeing all the restaurants full of people.  I ventured over to the ESPN zone where the pep rally was going on, and watched a little from a far off distance.  Even though I really don't care who wins the BCS game, it was hard not to get caught up in all their excitement.  Their exuberant energy was intoxicating.


Next, I ventured over to the Artisan Market on 5th Avenue.  The streets were also full of musicians and bands, so I parked my butt by each of them and gave them all a listen.




I ended my day back at the Sunday A'Fair listening to Bríd Dower.  All in all, a very good Artist Date with myself.  A little music, a little art, and a lot of crazy Ducks and Tigers.

While you are upon the earth,
enjoy the good things that are here.
JOHN SELDEN