Saturday, January 29, 2011

Artist Date, Weeks 19 and 20 ~ Playwriting Class


The reason I have not blogged for the last two weeks is not because I wasn't doing any Artist Dates, but one of my Artist Dates lasted two whole weeks.  I took a course in playwriting at the Theatre Artists Studio.  Hal Corley, playwriter and 5-time Emmy Award winner, taught the class.  The class was designed for people who never have written a play before and focused on writing a 10-minute play.  Not only did I write my first play over the two-week course, but I also participated in stage readings for all the other student's plays.  This course was exhilerating - but also extremely tiring.  The course just ended yesterday, and I'M POOPED!

Over the course of the last two weeks, I also managed to go see three productions.  The first two were Hal Corley productions - two plays he wrote and were performed at the Theater Artist Studio.

The first play I saw was Suocera - which means mother-in-law in Italian.  Suocera uncovers the rivalries and lethal dangers in a seldon explored family dynamic - mother-in-law and son-in law.
His second play Mama and Jack Carew is a harrowing look at an unlikely triangle that explores the dark corners of maternal relationships.  Both of his plays are very intense dramas and for mature audiences only. 
On a much light note - the third production I saw was The Producers at the Fountain Hills Community Theater.  All the actors were top notch, and the show was better than I expected.  I was impressed how a small comunity theater could pull off such a large broadway musical - but they did it - and it was GREAT!




Those who lose dreaming are lost.
AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL PROVERB