Thursday, February 3, 2011

Artist Date, Week 21 - Seeing Oprah in Chicago - NOT



I had a really GREAT Artist Date planned this week.  My sister who lives in Chicago got tickets to see Oprah on Thursday, February 3rd.  I had planned on coming in the afternoon of February 1st, but the Blizzard of 2011 had other plans for me.  :-)   I was actually on the airplane, and we left the terminal, the flight attendants were preparing for departure - then the captain comes on and says we are having problems with the engines and we need to be towed back to the terminal.  We wait, then wait some more.  Finally, the captain comes on again and says by the time we fix the problem we will have missed our opportunity to get to Chicago before the blizzard hits.  My sis was a little disappointed, but my hubby was happy. He wasn't too thrilled I was going to Chicago during a blizzard.  He was to say the least, a little nervous about my being there during the Storm of the Century.


Luckily, my dear sweet sister got our Oprah Show tickets changed to later in the month.  So I am still coming Chicago, and you better be kinder to me this time.  :-)  I wonder what I missed today at the Oprah taping.  I was teasing my sister that if Oprah decided to take her audience somewhere wonderful, and she gave up her chance to go, and wait for me later this month - she will be really pissed off.  (lol)  Or I like to think, the taping we will attend later this month will be way better than the one we missed today, so the Blizzard of 2011 did us a favor.  Thank you - thank you very much.

Anyway, my only Aritst Date this week was still lovely.  I went to the MIM this past Sunday to see the Yound Sounds of Arizona play.  The two groups were sensational.  When I was a kid almost everyone played a musical instrument - it was just what you did.  Today, it is rare to find kids playing musical instruments, they only want to play sports.  I found it refreshing to see these very young and talented kids.  Hopefully more kids will be encouraged to play an instrument. 




Any disaster you can survive is an
improvement in your character,
your stature, and your life. 
What a privilege!
JOSEPH CAMPBELL