Saturday, April 2, 2011

Artist's Dates, Week 27 ~ Entertaining My Snowbirds Friends

This past week I spent entertaining five female friends, ages 17 to 54, while on spring break.  They came in from Portland, St. Louis, and Chicago.  Two of them I have known for over 40 years...we grew up across the street from each other.  So I didn't go on any Artist Dates alone this week, but it's always fun to do things you are accustomed doing, yet you see it differently through other's eyes.

My friends all came in last Friday, and all these snowbirds wanted to do first was just be outside.  They really didn't care what...they just wanted to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine after being cooped up all winter long indoors.  So on Saturday, I took them to the Tempe Festival of Arts.  We spent a leisurely afternoon there walking around looking at art and listening to music.  My friends 17-year old daughter bought tons of things there...mostly jewelry...she's a real girly-girl.  After a day of shopping we ended up having dinner at Z' Tejas Grill. 


On Sunday I took them for lunch at Tonto Bar and Grill in Cave Creek.  Once again, they could have eaten anything, and it would have tasted great to them, as long as they were eating outside on the patio and enjoying all the majestic views.


After lunch we headed to the el Pedgregal for their Spring Wine and Jazz concert.  The group performing was Marmalade Skies.  The audience was rocking and grooving to all the Beatle tunes.  Once again, they were just so happy to be sitting outside and enjoying the great weather.


My friends really wanted to go on a rafting trip down the upper Salt River, but since the water levels were low, we decided not to go.  Instead they hiked a lot around the mountain trails by my house, and I introduced them to Pinnacle Peak.  They loved all the great views and got some fabulous pictures.


Since they are all from Chicago originally, they could not come to Arizona in March without going to see a Chicago Cub Spring Training game at Hohokam Park.  I admit I really don't care who wins...Cubs or Diamondbacks.  I happy either way...they are both my teams.


If we were not eating dinner outside at my house, we would always go to a restaurant where you could eat outside.  Once again, it didn't matter what they were eating...the enjoyment was being able to sit outside.  So we took them to one of our favorite places to eat...AZ88 in Old Town Scottsdale.  Of course our 17-year old spent plenty of time shopping and buying herself, her girlfriends and boyfriend souvenirs from the Old Town Shops.


Everything I did this week are things I do frequently.  But it is always fun to do the same old things when you see what you are doing and experiencing through other people's eyes.  It gives it a different perspective...and makes it more fun.  The gang is all gone now, and I am spending Saturday and Sunday this week cleaning up my house and doing laundry.  I have another five friends coming from Chicago to visit us in July for a week.  Not as much going on in July here in Scottsdale, but this group of friends just likes hanging out at the pool drinking margaritas.  That suits me too.  :-)

Friendship is a strong and habitual
inclination in two persons to promote
the good and happiness in one another.
EUSTACE BUDGELL