Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Streetcar Named Desire @ Desert Stages Theatre

Chad Krolczyk as Stanley
 

Marlon Brando as Stanley
 

 
Kellie Dunlap as Stella
 

I LOVE movies, but I will admit that I have never been a huge fan of old movies, and therefore never have seen too many of the oldies, even the classic ones.  I felt there was just too much over acting back then.  But now that I'm older, I have a greater appreciation for the older films, and enjoy watching them.  I still think they over act, but it does not bother me as much.  I guess I've mellowed as I've aged. lol

Last week we saw Sunset Boulevard at Fountain Hills Theater, so I got a copy of the movie which it's based on at the Phoenix library since I had never seen it before.  This week we saw A Streetcar Named Desire at Scottsdale Desert Stages Theatre which was turned into a movie based on the Tennessee Williams play.   Again, I never saw this old classic movie before this week nor the play.    The library had the two-disc special edition with the original director's version, plus a second bonus disc with 5 new documentaries about the Hollywood film, the play on Broadway, censorship, the music, and Marlon Brando.  I'm happy I watched the film and all the documentaries before seeing Streetcar this weekend...it enhanced my enjoyment and appreciation for this classic play.  I'll admit I'm more familiar with John Travolta's character Vinnie Barbarino from Welcome Back Kotter performing the famous STELLLAAA scene than with Marlon Brando.  Sad, but true.  lol

I really enjoyed the play, even more than the movie.  The cast was PERFECT, and perfectly cast.  Chad Krolczyk even had those Marlon Brando smoldering eyes.