Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Foreigner @ Desert Stages Theatre


March Madness is over...no I don't mean the NCAA basketball tournament...there is one more day of that left...I mean no more out of town folks visiting us.  When you live in the Valley of the Sun and your friends and family live in Chicago...they come, and especially in March during Spring training.  So today I had a completely FREE day to myself...even hubby was busy doing his mother's taxes.  So what to do...what to do.  I had a few choices...I could have gone to 1) the Tempe Festival of Arts, 2) Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts Origination: A Festival of Native Cultures, 3) the el Pedregal and heard the country band Desert Dixie, 4) Scottsdale Desert Stages to see the comedy The Foreigner, or 5) stay home and clean my house and do laundry.  Okay, #5 was never really a choice...that can wait. 

So this morning I made a last minute decision to go see The Foreigner at Desert Stages.  If I did not see this play today, I would have definitely seen it sometime during its nine week run...but today was the day. I was not familiar with this play, but just looking at the above photo of those seven wacky people...you know you are in for a very off the wall and zany good time.  The whole cast was sidesplittingly hilarious and gave stellar performances...I had a great time.

In February I saw The Elephant Man at Desert Stages and was not 100% sure, but I thought I was sitting next to Michelle Hoffman, Drama Critic for the Arizona Republic.  Today the same woman was sitting behind me at the theatre taking notes.  So at intermission I asked her if she was indeed Michelle Hoffman...and she was.  I'm glad I did because we had a nice chat about local community theatres here in the Valley. I recognized her from her picture in the newspaper...yes I still read the actual newspaper, and not the online edition.  :-)

On a side note:  I was one of the highest bidders for Desert Stages Pink, Black and Blonde Gala silent auction on Saturday.   Okay, I was really the only bidder for this particular item...but I got it!  I'll blog about what I won someday when I get a chance to use it.