Sunday, March 31, 2013

La Cage aux Folles @ Phoenix Theatre



On Saturday afternoon was part two of my Ollie at ASU Phoenix Theatre Series Course where we had another insightful talk with Pasha Yamotahari the Phoenix Theatre's Director of Production, and then we saw the full theatrical production of La Cage aux Folles.   I loved getting a "behind the scenes" course on this production...it made it even more impressive when you know all what goes into getting an elaborate musical like this on stage. 

This was the third time I have seen the musical La Cage.  I saw it for the first time in New York in June of 1985 at the Palace Theatre with the original Albin played by George Hearn, and Van Johnson playing Georges.  This was my first time visiting New York, and I went with three girlfriends for my bachelorette weekend...I was getting married later in the summer.  Since there was no internet back then, it took a little more time planning and researching a vacation, so we divided up the responsibilities. One friend was in charge of booking us the best airfare and hotel to stay.  Another friend researched restaurants and the best clubs for us to visit.  Another friend was in charge of researching sightseeing activities, museums and shopping.  Since it was my bachelorette weekend I picked to research and book what was the most important to me...Broadway shows.  We only had time to see two shows but I knew the one show we were definitely going to see was La Cage aux Folles which recently won the Tony Award for Best Musical.  And back in 1985 La Cage did not disappoint...it was like nothing I had ever seen before...it was big, flashy, very funny, but most of all it was extremely moving and inspiring with its message of LOVE.

Twenty-eight years later seeing it again, La Cage is just as touching to me, and once again brought me to tears with this beautiful love story, and also with the love of family.  The Phoenix Theatre production was absolutely outstanding.  The entire cast really shined thanks to their enormous talent.  Plus, the fabulous costumes, set design and lighting made this production extraordinary.

Check out the lighting, costumes and sets  HERE...there're all fabulous! 
Also, check out those high kicks from those men? women?...see the show for yourself and find out.