Sunday, March 24, 2013

Disney The Little Mermaid @ Desert Stages Theatre

 
On Saturday afternoon I attended the 1:00 pm show of Desert Stages Production of The Little Mermaid.  Since I don't have children, I have never seen the Disney movie.  Well, I have seen bits and pieces of it numerous times while baby sitting my good friends daughter who is now 26 years old, but never saw the movie all the way through.  So as usual I got the DVD from the library and watched it before seeing the musical. 
 
I brought my very good friend from Chicago with me, who now lives here in Arizona.  She also does not have any kids, but like me...is a BIG kid herself.  This was her first time to Desert Stages Theatre.  When the two kids from the cast came out before the show and sang Happy Birthday to a member of the audience she was already impressed with their zest.  I knew she would be floored by what was to come.  Needless to say she was overwhelmed with all the performances and so was I. 
 
I did not realize it until I came home and read my program, but the actor who played Scuttle, Zachary Denious was the kid who played Oliver in their 2011 production of Oliver!.  I didn't even recognize him...kids grow up so fast.
 
I told my girlfriend to definitely save her program because she will be glad one day when she can prove that she saw the famous actor/actress when they were young and doing a community theatre play.