Monday, October 31, 2011

Oliver! @ Desert Stages Theatre


On Saturday I went to the afternoon performance of Oliver! at the Desert Stages Theatre.  I have never seen a live production of this play, I only saw the film once when it came out in 1968.  I was six years old and my parents took me to see it at one of the large movie theaters in downtown Chicago.  I remember the gist of the storyline, but not the whole story.  I thought by seeing this live production the story would flood back into my memory...NOT!  Okay, I have to admit it was like seeing it for the first time all over.  Usually, I read up on anything I go see.  I like to know ahead of time about the plot and who all the characters are, but I didn't do it this time.  I really thought I would remember all the characters from seeing the film in 1968.  Every time someone new came on stage, I thought to myself...who is this???  I guess I have killed a few brain cells over the years.  Anyway, I really enjoyed this production.  The actors were brilliantly cast, and all were superb -  especially the kids.  I always keep my programs from all the plays I attend.  I just know that someday I will say that I saw this super famous talented movie star when they were just a kid in a local community theatre play.

Zachary Denious as Oliver