Sunday, October 9, 2011

Greek Festival


On Saturday, October 8th I attended the 51st Annual Greater Phoenix Greek Festival at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox community center. This was my first time to this festival.  Last year I attended the Scottsdale Festival of Greece.  The day could not have been nicer...temps in the low 80's, plus plenty of sunshine.  The Greek food though was the highlight of the day.  I ate too much and was so full, but before I left I still managed to eat a whole plate of saganaki (flaming cheese).  What's a Greek Fest without saganaki?  I bought of box of Greek pastries and took them home.  I enjoyed them with my morning coffee today.

I enjoyed watching the little kids doing their Greek dancing, and listening to a traditional Greek band.  I checked out the new Hellenic Museum of Phoenix with vintage photographs of pioneer Greek families as featured in the book, Greeks in Phoenix.  I  browsed around the Greek market and all the jewelry vendors,   also went inside the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral.  The church is beautiful with all its stunning stained glass windows.


I get ticked off when I hear people from Chicago, New York, or any big city say there is no culture here in Arizona.  Really!  These people are obviously not looking too hard.