Monday, October 24, 2011

ArtFest of 5th Ave.



On Saturday I got up early and went to the ArtFest of 5th Ave. in Scottsdale.  It's the first Art Fest of the season, so I get really excited to just get out and walk around and browse.  One thing I like about this ArtFest is that it's never really crowded.  Okay, bad for the artists, but good for me.  I like actually talking to the artists, and because it's less crowded they actually have the time to talk to you too.  I was talking to one artist and she said she remembers me from all the other Art Fest's I have attended.  I bought a few small things and stopped and had a lemonade and listened to one of the street musicians for awhile.

I headed over to see up close and personal the public art piece on the corner of Scottsdale Rd. and Camelback called The Doors by Donald Lipski.


The piece of artwork has been there since 2007, and I have driven by it hundreds of times, but I never knew anything about it until I took last month The Ulitmate Art and Culture Tours. On the tour I learned that when you stand inside this kaleidoscopic sculptor you'll find multiple reflections of yourself, an oculus that creates the optical illusion of a geodesic dome overhead.  Plus, I learned the experience within The Doors is enhanced by sound artist Jim Green. You can hear the sounds of the Soleri bells at Cosanti, and other selections.  Very COOL!  After hearing the Soleri Bells and walking across the Soleri Bridge, I decided to go over to Cosanti to gawk at all their amazingly beautiful windbells.  They had a sale going on this weekend so there were plenty of windbells to admire.