Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Giraffes ~ Stingrays ~ Butterflies


I had the BEST time on Tuesday going to the Phoenix Zoo.  The last time I was there was in November of 2010 to see the Koalas.  This time I made sure to get in line for the 2:00 Giraffe Encounter where you get up close and personal and feed the giraffes.  There were five giraffes there all waiting to get some treats from me, but the animal handler chose which giraffe would get my treats, and all the other giraffes stood back and let the chosen giraffe receive the treats without any interference.  These four other giraffes displayed absolutely no jealousy, nor fear of scarcity.  WOW!  Now if humans can raise their consciousness to the level of these giraffes...then the world would be a better and more peaceful place. 



Next it was time to go to Stingray Bay and pet the gentle stingrays.  This exhibit was not yet open to the public the last time I was at the zoo.  They are just so gentle and some actually swim up against your hand so you can stroke there backs. 



After spending a few hours at the zoo headed over to the Desert Botanical Gardens to see the Spring Butterfly Exhibit.  The springtime butterflies have no problem landing on you...your head, nose, arm.  This time I didn't see any butterflies landing on anyone, even though they were flying around like crazy.  But just before I was going to leave the butterfly pavillion, a small orangy-red butterfly landed on my purse and stayed there for a little while.  Funny because for my art class today, I had already sketched out on a canvas and was ready to paint an orangy-red butterfly from a photo from the butterfly pavillion.  This little butterfly did give me some wonderful creative inspiration...and for that...I am grateful.