Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Drowsy Chaperone at the Fountain Hills Theatre


Last Sunday I went to see The Drowsy Chaperone which was the season opener at the Fountain Hill Theatre.  I was not familiar with the story, so I read the synopsis of this musical online before attending.  The play is a play within a play and it's a homeage to old Broadway.  Reading the synopsis does NOT do this production justice...you just have to see it for yourself.    I laughed my butt off at this one.  This production was so much fun, and so entertaining that I could easily go see it again.  The cast was all wonderful, but the success of this musical rests soley on the main character, The Man in Chair.  Terry Gadaire played 'the man in chair' and he just stole the show.  He was just great!  His character to me was a cross between Niles from the TV series Frasier, and Sheldon, from the TV series The Big Bang Theory.  I found myself during the course of the play not looking at the other actors, but focusing on Terry's facial expression because they were just so amusing.  I really do hope he gets nominated for this stellar performance.  There is nothing better than a LIVE performance.