Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Wizard of Oz


I started this new course on Sunday, August 28th, and I went on my first Artist Date on the same day.  I saw the Children's Theatre Production of The Wizard of Oz at Desert Stages Theatre.  Last go around I saw a few of their Mainstage and Actor's Cafe Productions, and I vowed to go see this time around the Children's Production.  I am so happy that I did...the cast was fabulous.  What I learned also which also wow'd me is that there are four cast members for each character. There are four Dorothys, four Totos, four Wizards, etc. Each child actor performs in three shows a week, but rotates the character they play.  They may play a leading role like Dorothy on Friday night, then for the Saturday matinees be a dancer in the cast.  This theatre obviously gets so many kids to audition who are very talented, they are able to have four actors play all the leading roles.

Seeing The Wizard of Oz was a perfect first Artist Date to start this new course of journeying to my creative heart center.  There are so many Zen lessons in this story, but the most important one of all is that you always have the power within yourself.  When Glinda tells Dorothy, "you've had the power to go back to Kansas," Dorothy awakens to the realization that her heart's desire is an inward journey, not an outward one; and though her true Self may not be apparent, it still resides deep within.

It is extraordinary how extraordinary the ordinary person is.
GEORGE F. WILL