Saturday, November 6, 2010

Artist Date, Week Eight ~ Fashion Show and Wearable Artwalk


Thursday, November 4th was the kick-off to Scottsdale Fashion Week.  I have not ever attended one of their fashion shows before, and never had any real interest either.  Funny, because I actually thought about going into fashion merchandising in college.  Like most young girls, I was always into the fashion scene and thought of having a career in fashion, but ended up in business school, majoring in Marketing.   That's another topic for another day.  Anyway, I went down to Old Town Scottsdale for the kick-off for Fashion Week on Thursday night and brought the hubby with me. 


The theme of the evening was "Little Black Dress.''  Everyone was encouraged to wear a little black dress.  The only black dress I have in my closet is a long dress from twelve years ago.  I tend to buy classic fashions now that I am older, verses trendier styles, so my little black dress looked timeless.  We went to the ArtScene gallery on Stetson Drive for a private fashion show for a local designer (name escapes me) who use to design for Liz Claiborne, and now is going off on her own. The whole collection was done in black with a little grey thrown in.  Even though the models were all young, under 25 years old, I could see myself in many of the outfits because they were classic designs, which suits me most. Hubby was more interested in the shoes the models were wearing than the clothes...that's a real guy thing I guess.  They had great wine, champagne and the most delicious appetizers, and a fabulous line of clothes.  It was a very different kind of evening for me, with a unique mix of people watching that I have not been exposed to while living here in Scottsdale.  My husband mentioned during the evening, how this place was full of atmosphere, and he did not mean the art gallery.  Once again I said to myself...Why haven't I done this before?  The fashion show was a lot of fun. 



After the fashion show we headed over to the Wearable ArtWalk where one-of-a-kind artsy fashions are featured throughout Scottsdale Downtown. This event featured designers with new looks and one-of-a-kind works of art and jewelry that you can actually wear. My husband and I have been to numerous Artwalks in Scottsdale over the years.  They offer them every Thursday evening, but several times a year they have themed ones like Fiesta Bowl ArtWalk, A Taste of ArtWalk, Western ArtWalk and the Summer Spectacular ArtWalk.  The Wearable ArtWalk is in its 4th year, but this is the first time we attended this particular themed ArtWalk.  Hubby is hooked on this one now...he liked this one the best of all.  Not only was the food and wine flowing more freely at this one than at others, but the crowds were very manageable, and the exhibits were quite creative.

The Wearable ArtWalk featured figurative artist Deborah Paswaters at Calvin Charles Gallery presenting her new collection of live body painted models, Transforming Models into Art: Living Sculptures.  She had about seven models, both men and women who posed while she painted their skin, face, hair and clothes.  It was interesting to watch her create art on human bodies.  She treated them just like any artist would treat a blank canvas.



This picture (on right) is from last year's show.  I thought she was even more creative this year.  I did not have a camera with me, or my cell phone which takes pictures, even though I really don't know how to work it, but if the gallery should post this years current pictures, I will replace this last year's picture with a new one.  I admit, I was hoping the models were going to be naked like in the above picture, but they were mostly covered up, except for the guys.  If this state weren't so conservative and prudish, I know the models would have been naked.  :-)




Occasions! by design’s on Main Street featured folk artist Marcia Sednek who showcased her “life size” ball gown hand crafted from vintage tins, wire mesh and found objects replicating her miniature dress series also featured at the gallery.






We will definitley go again to the Wearable ArtWalk. It gets hubby vote of approval. Technically this should not count as an Artist Date because I brought someone with me. But I look at it this way. If I do something a little different or new because of the Artist Way course I am doing, then I will count it as an Artist Date. I went to a new themed ArtWalk this year, and went to a fashion show for the first time ever...so damn it, I say it counts!




Imagination is more important than knowledge.
ALBERT EINSTEIN