Sunday, November 7, 2010

Artist Date, Week Nine ~ La Gran Fiesta


After spending the morning at the Celebrate Your Life conference, I went over to the La Gran Fiesta at the Civic Center Mall in Old Town Scottdale.  The La Gran Fiesta is a celebration of the Hispanic and Latin cultures which includes music, dance, arts, food and drink, and children activities.  I got there around 1:00pm and caught the last half hour of Mariachi Corazón Latino and Vista del Camino Ballet Folklorico. Next was Alicia-Monique Blanco, Miss Arizona 2009, who sang "God Bless America,"   Arizona Opera had their lead female singer for their next opera, Carmen, sing four songs.  Next we were entertained by a husband and wife salsa dancing performance.  They also taught audience members a few dance moves.  The final act I saw was the musical group The Samba Project.  The afternoon was simply lovely, and just the perfect temperatures for sitting outside.  Everyone around me was drinking margaritas.  My mouth was watering for one but since I came by myself, and had to drive home, I did not have one.  Okay, this is the one and only reason going by yourself to events can suck.  It is good going with someone who can be a designated driver. When I got home I still had some margarita mix in the fridge from a party I threw last spring.  It was a bit old, but I didn't care.  I made a couple of margaritas and sat out on the patio with my hubby discussing our day.


It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
DUKE ELLINGTON AND IRVING MILLS