Saturday, November 20, 2010

Artist Date, Week Ten ~ The Great Gatsby at Biltmore Fashion Park

Hubby and I went for the first time to the Biltmore Fashion Park for their Movies in the Park.  They show for free favorite classic old films under the stars on Friday night. People bring lawn chairs, sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, pizza, popcorn, wine and other goodies and get comfortable on the lawn in front of the big screen in the park.  Since it was still reasonably not too cold outside, at least by Arizonian standards, we went this past Friday to see the feature film, The Great Gatsby.  I have seen this film only once before when it came out in theaters in 1974, but hubby never saw it. 

The Artist Way course has gotten me to do things that I have never done before, and once again this was a first for me to go watch a film under the stars in the cool autumn night.

The REAL reason I wanted to see it again was because I just heard recently that director Baz Luhrmann is remaking this classic film starring my all-time favorite actor Leonardo DiCaprio in the role of Jay Gatsby.  His best buddy, Tobey Maguire is suppose to play the role of the narrator, Nick Carraway, and Carey Mulligan is set to play Daisy Buchanan.

My husband just thought because I am doing this Artist Way course is why I had such a great desire to go see a movie at the Biltmore Fashion Park.  He was just happy I actually invited him to go along with me.  But at dinner before the film I told him how Leonardo was going to be part of the remake of this classic film.  He said, "Now this makes more sense to why you want to see this film."  After 30+ years together, he knows me all to well, and knows what makes me tick.  :-)

I enjoyed The Great Gatsby film very much once again. I am sure I will enjoy even more Baz Luhrmann's version of this classic novel.  It was Luhrmann's 1996 version of William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet that brought my attention to the stellar talent of Leonardo DiCaprio, and I have been a fan of his ever since.  I think his casting of Leo, Tobey and Carey are perfect.  I can't wait to see who he casts in the other parts.

Film is my favorite art form.  There is nothing I like more than discussing films.  If I had a chance to pick the brains of people either living or dead, it would be people who are involved in making films, either writers, directors or actors.



What moves men of genious, or rather
what inspires their work, is not new ideas,
but their obsession with the idea that what has
already been said is still not enough.
EUGENE DELACROIX