Sunday, November 7, 2010

Artist Date, Week Nine ~ The Haunting of Hill House


I am on a roll this weekend and had another great Artist Date with myself on Sunday.  I saw the play The Haunting of Hill House at the Fountain Hills Community Theater.  I have never attended any performance at this community theater, even though it is just about 10 minutes from where I live.  I saw the ad in the Arizona Republic and just decided to go see this production. I had just read a movie blog around Halloween that said the original 1963 film The Haunting, which is based on the 1959 book The Haunting of Hill House is Martin Scorsese favorite horror film.  I had never seen the original film, so I got a DVD copy of it at the library this week.  I am glad I did, because it made this wonderful community theater production that much more enjoyable.  I thought the casting in this little production was superb, and the acting was top-notch.  The theater was very small, seats around 125 people, so all seats are good seats.  The sets were great and even the special effects were outstanding.  I don't know how they did it, but when the haunted house was experiencing ghostly sounds, you could hear and feel vibrations coming from right under the floor underneath you.  I have been to small theaters before, like the Desert Stage Theater in Scottsdale, and once you get use to being so up close and intimate with the cast, it is hard to go to a huge theater for a performance.  The larger theaters lose something when you can't see every expression on the actor's face.  This theater is my new gem in the desert, and I will return many more times.





My hubby no longer has to go to Goldies Sport Cafe on Sundays to watch his beloved Chicago Bears.  His cousin just got Direct TV and invites him over to his house to watch the game.  Of course they just assume I will come over with my husband to watch the game too and be in their company.  It's nothing personal; I just need to do things that nurture my soul.  And watching football or any other sport just does not nurture my soul.  I would rather be doing something by myself like attending an afternoon play on Sunday, then be in a houseful of people doing something or watching something I have completely no interest in.  One thing that has always come easy for me is that I have never had a problem in saying, "No."

Life shrinks or expands in
proportion to one's courage.
ANAIS NIN