Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Artist Date, Week Nine ~ Koala Exhibit at the Phoenix Zoo


Nothing, and I mean nothing, brings out my inner child more than Koala bears.  Okay, they are NOT bears, I know this, they are marsupials.  But since childhood I have always thought of them as bears.  I have loved Koalas since I was a very young girl.  In fact the only childhood toys I still have are my Koala bears that my mom bought me.  I have kept them in a box in my hall closet, but after seeing the Koalas yesterday at the Phoenix Zoo,  I pulled them out and took the below picture of them.  I have had most of these stuffed Koalas for over 40 years.


Ever since I heard the Phoenix Zoo was going to get two Koalas from the San Diego Zoo for six months, I knew I would go and spend a day seeing them.  I was just waiting for the weather to really cool off, and yesterday was the perfect day to spend at the zoo.  My husband and I arrived at the zoo in the morning and went straight to the Koala exhibit.  The two visiting Koalas are brother and sister.  Kobi is 4 years old, and his sister, Sooky is 2 years old.  When we arrived the two Koalas were sleeping with their heads buried in eucalyptus leaves.  Koalas sleep between 18 and 22 hours a day, so this was not a surprise.  The sign at the exhibit said they were going to be weighed at 1:30, so we decided we would return. We got back there about 1:20 for a good spot.  Their handler came out on time and woke up Sooky first and picked her up from her branch.  Sooky held on to her like she was her mother.  She put her on a scale to be weighed then put her back on a perch.  She then went over to Kobi's room and did the same.  Both Koalas seemed extremely happy to be held and did not make any fuss.  Once back on the perch they both stretched, yawned, scratched themselves a lot, and had some lunch.  They were also quite active, moving around from limb to limb.  We stayed there watching them for another 30 minutes.  I could have stayed a couple more hours.  They were that much fun too watch.  I know I will definitley make a return trip to see them before they go back to San Diego.

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Brisbane, Australia - September 1988
I have had the great opportunity to actually hold a Koala myself.  In 1988, my father took me, my husband and sister to Australia for a family vacation.  I got to see Koalas in the wild, just sitting in eucalyptus trees outside of Melbourne.  When we were in Brisbane, Australia we went to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where you can hold a Koala and get your picture taken.

I have always kept the picture of me and the Koala, plus a picture of my husband and his Koala framed and prominently displayed in our house since our trip in 1988.  I now have the pictures in our office since I spend most of my time there. I just like to have pictures around that make me smile, and looking at our Koala pictures really puts a big silly grin on my face.   Koalas are just so darn cute!



Not only were the Koala great to see, but the whole zoo was fabulous.  I don't know if it was the cool weather, or what, but it seemed like the animals were more active than usually.  Even the giraffes were prancing and running around like I have never seen before.  All the animals seemed to be putting on a show for us.  The Phoenix Zoo is such a great place to visit, I really should get a membership.  No place can bring out my inner child more than a zoo, and put me in such a happy blissful state.





Man is not  free to refuse to do the
thing which gives him more pleasure
than any other conceivable action.
STENDHAL