Friday, November 12, 2010

Artist Date, Week Nine ~ Fountain Hills Festival of Arts and Esteban Concert


Today I spent the entire afternoon by myself at the Fountain Hills Festival of Arts and Crafts.  I usually go to this fair every year and with a few friends.  They mostly race through the fair and just want to have a nice relaxing lunch at one the restaurants that face the fountain.  No one called me to go with them this year, and I have to admit I was very happy no one called.  I really enjoyed spending over four hours there all by myself.  Mainly because I really was looking forward to spending a lot of time browsing all the jewelry displays since I have taken a few courses on jewelry making.  I have a much better appreciation for all the great jewelry designers at the fair.  I could appreciate the detail in their work, and their low prices too.  It is almost impossible to make pieces like theirs for any less when you don't get a wholesale or quantity discount.  In fact, it would cost me almost double in some cases.  I have never realized just how many jewelry designers are at this fair.



The day could not have been nicer.  The air was cool and it was an extremely sunny day.  This fair is always very crowded, but at least it is stretched out over several blocks, so the crowds are manageable.   The town of Fountain Hills always does a great job when they put on an event.
The other reason I was happy to go by myself to the fair was because Esteban was playing, and I planned on listening to his music for a long time which may have not suited my friends.  My husband and I have been following him since we first saw him playing at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch in 1993.  We have seen him in concert numerous times. You can even see us in his DVD Esteban Live in Sedona, because we were sitting in the first row of this concert.  Esteban never disappoints, and he played some of my favorite songs.  Plus, he played a few songs from his new album which is a tribute to Johnny Cash and is singing on this new album too.  He has a great voice, and sounds a lot like Johnny Cash.  My favorite song he sang today of his was Ring of Fire.

Today is something I would have done regardless of the Artist's Way course.  I just feel that I appreciated the day, and being by myself more than usual, because of participating in this course.

Music is your own experience,
your thoughts, your wisdom. 
If you don't live it, it won't
come out your horn.
CHARLIE PARKER