Friday, November 26, 2010

Artist Date, Week Eleven ~ I Made My First Turkey


I am 48 years old and have never in my life ever made a turkey, and have never hosted a Thanksgiving holiday.  When we lived in Chicago, we always went to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving. Once we moved to Arizona, we went to my mother-in-laws, friends, neighbors, client's houses, and even a couple of times to the French restaurant Voltaire for Thanksgiving dinner. 

This year I volunteered to have Thanksgiving.  I thought it was time I tackled making a turkey.  For most people, making a turkey and all the other Thanksgiving dishes and desserts is no big deal, but I really do not like to cook or bake.  I know cooking/baking is a real creative outlet for many people, but not me.  I really want to like to cook, and I want to enjoy the experience, but I can't lie...I hate it. 

My turkey came out pretty well, and my family enjoyed it.  I did not overwhelm myself by baking too.  I did not want to get too carried away. :-)  I just picked up a few pies from the bakery at the grocery store and that is why I had time on Wednesday to go to the MIM for their Wednesday Morning Interlude concert.  At the concert I sat next to a nice woman and we talked turkeys and Thanksgiving dinner.  I told her how I was making my first ever turkey dinner, but had no plans on baking.  I've got better things to do with my time, like going to this concert I told her.  She laughed and said she wished that some of her friends and relatives wouldn't bake because their home made cakes and pies were not as good as the ones you get at Costco.  :-)

One tradition I love that my husband and I started doing on Thanksgiving morning was to go on a super long hike.  Since I was hosting Thanksgiving this year we skipped the hike, but we went today for an even extra long hike.  I came home from the hike and finished off the last of the delicious store bought pumpkin pie.  YUM!  It tasted even better to me since I did not waste anytime baking it myself.
I can scratch off making a turkey from my list of things I have not yet done.  Making a home-made pumpkin pie is still on the list, and it can stay on the list for all I care.  I would rather spend my time going to concerts to inspire me, or hiking to keep my body healthy and fit. 


To keep the body in good health is a duty...Otherwise
we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
BUDDHA